Thursday 28 February 2013

Aboriginal reserves in Canada

After reading this article about Aboriginal reserves in Canada, I realized how different our lives are than theirs. We have so much more than them, and most of us don't even realize how good we have it. In the article it says it can get as bad as 15 people living in one shack, and kids starting to drink at the age of six years old. They have nothing to do because there are no jobs and most of the time there isn't proper education available either. The people living on these reserves don't have jobs, and as a result they don't have money to provide for their families. Even though some of the information in this article is dated, these things are still happening on our present reserves in Canada. It has improved but not as much as it should have. Reading this article makes me wonder what I can do to help this situation, how I can make a change. Any ideas? I always assumed that the government would help them, but after reading this article it doesn't look like they're doing very much. What do you think the government should be doing to help improve living conditions on reserves?

2 comments:

  1. I think you have a very interesting point. I agree with you that we shouldn't take things for granted and I think some people are quite spoiled as well. I think what the government should do is make a better education so that kids could have a better life. This would open up more job opportunity's for them stopping them from turning to alcohol abuse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Annie, the article you found is succinct, but it is powerful in portraying life on Native reserves in Canada. I find it shocking that Canadians are living in third world conditions. I know that the big idea of the civics course is that one person can make a difference, but I can't help but think that this issue is so complex that one person (or a small group of people) can't affect any real change. I think that one person can help make another person's life better for the short-term, but I think that we need long-term solutions.

    ReplyDelete