Tuesday 19 March 2013

The Ideal Marriage

     I think that the main component of an ideal marriage is love and affection. It doesn't matter if it's a heterosexual couple or same sex couple if they are in love they should be aloud to get married. I also believe that there needs to be commitment or some form of trust within the relationship in order for it to work out. The people within the marriage should also have common interests and feel comfortable around each other. I believe that you should be able to choose your partner I don't agree with arranged marriages. I personally don't agree with parents picking partners for their sons/daughters. The argument is that your parents know you best but I believe that the only person that knows you best is yourself. These marriages are usually arranged at a young age and we know that peoples personality's change over time. So the parents may think they picked the perfect person but they really can't predict who their child will grow up to be. That's why I believe you should be able to choose who you want to be with because you need to figure out who you are as well as who you want to spend the rest of your life with. This is way to big of a commitment in your life to have someone else decided it for you. What do you guys think is best free choice marriage or arranged marriage?

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you that an ideal marriage needs to consist of love and affection and that there needs to be commitment and trust within the relationship and that they should be comfortable and share interests. I also agree that arranged marriage is morally wrong because we are all individuals and are able to make our own choices in life one choice that we should be able to make ourselves is who we want to spend the rest of our lives with not who are parents think are right for us. I also think that we share similarities with our parents but aren't the exact same so when parents pick your spouse for you they tend to look for things that they like and not all kids/teens like the same things that their parents do so that is another reason why I believe we should be able to choose the person who we will spend the rest of our lives with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with this post whole heartedly, and I don't think that arranged marriage should happen. But i also think as Canadians we look past other peoples cultures and religions. Not to say that you are ignorant towards other cultures, because to be honest i think we all are. In other religions people don't know anything other then arranged marriage and I don't think we can fully understand why arranged marriage happens. Personally i agree with you that arranged marriage shouldn't happen, but I do think that we have a one sided opinion on the matter. great post though! well thought out :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sara, I agree with your perspective for the most part. I can't help but think that the point of view of choosing who to marry is very western. In some cultures, marriage doesn't have the same meaning as in North America, where you marry for love. In some places, marriage is viewed as an economic or "political" partnership. I'm not sure that I disagree with the theory of an arranged marriage. What I most certainly disagree with is the use of marriage to further dis-empower women. There needs to be some level of agreement to the arrangement and within the marriage each partner needs to be equal.

    ReplyDelete